Corian vs Meganite, are two kitchen countertop materials that are often compared when people search for their next countertop. The most popular comparison between these two products is in regard to durability, costs, and aesthetics. When it comes to price, Corian can be more expensive than meganite. This is because Corian is a brand name product whereas meganite is a generic term.
Table of Contents
Meganite vs Corian: A Comparison
In this comparison, we’ll closely examine what Corian and Meganite offer regarding benefits and drawbacks. Which is better for your home?
What is Corian?
Corian is a solid surfacing material used for countertops, shower walls, and bathroom vanities. It is made of high-tech resins and other materials, including stone and wood. The result is a material that looks like natural stone but has the durability of plastic.
Corian was first developed in the 1970s by DuPont to be used as an alternative to natural marble and granite in high-end kitchens. The company patented its manufacturing process, which involves creating sheets of solid color through a layering process. Today it’s available in more than 300 colors and patterns, including swirls and other designs.
How it’s Made
Corian is a material that is made of acrylic resin, which is a polymer. The acrylic resins are formed into sheets and then sliced into the desired thicknesses. The sheets are then put through a process called lamination, where they are heated up to around 300 degrees Fahrenheit (148 degrees Celsius) and compressed under extreme pressure.
This process permanently connects the molecules of the acrylic resin together, making it stronger than it was before. Corian is resistant to scratches and heat and is very easy to clean and maintain.
In addition to its strength, Corian has several other properties that make it appealing for use in kitchen countertops. It’s resistant to stains from oils or liquids like milk or juice, so you don’t have to worry about leaving fingerprints behind on your countertop when cooking.
You also won’t need to worry about staining from food if you drop something on it while eating, just wipe it off with warm water and soap and rinse it off with water again.
The Pros of Corian
Corian is a top-notch material that can be used in many different ways. The pros of Corian include:
- Durability. Corian is a durable material that will last long without showing any signs of wear.
- Low Maintenance. Since Corian doesn’t absorb moisture and stains, you don’t have to do much maintenance on the material. All you need to do is wipe away any spills with a damp cloth and clean the surface with mild soap and water.
- Resistance to Heat. You can cook on Corian countertops without worrying about them getting damaged by heat. This property makes this material ideal for kitchens where hot pots are used often.
- Scratch Resistance. Corian is resistant to scratches from knives and other kitchen utensils, unlike other countertop materials like granite or marble. Even if your knife slips while cutting an onion, the damage won’t be done to your countertop’s finish.
The Cons of Corian
Here are some of the cons to Corian:
- Corian can be scratched easily. If you have children or pets, you must take extra precautions when using this material in your home.
- It is expensive. The cost of Corian ranges from $20 per square foot for an unfinished slab to $50 per square foot for an installed countertop with sink cutouts and other features.
- You can’t use certain cleaners on it. You should never use ammonia or bleach products on Corian because they can damage it permanently.
What is Meganite?
Meganite is a type of magnet, but it’s different from the kinds of magnets you’re probably familiar with. It’s made from neodymium, iron, and boron and has an extremely high magnetic field.
Meganite was first discovered by researchers at the University of Minnesota in 2009. They were working on a new way to create stronger permanent magnets when they accidentally created this new kind of magnet that was stronger than anything ever made before.
How it’s Made
Meganite is a solid surface material manufactured to have a smooth, glass-like finish. It is made very similar to Corian, but with different raw materials.
The raw materials for both products are water and acrylic particles. In Meganite, these particles are mixed with resin and then poured into molds to form the finished product. Making the material from scratch takes about two hours, unlike just one minute for Corian. This is because it takes longer for the material to cure when mixed together.
Once set, the material is cut and polished until it reaches its final shape and color. It can then be used straight away or left to cure further before use to ensure no blemishes or imperfections in the finish of your worktop.
The Pros of Meganite
Here are just a few of the many benefits of our new product, Meganite:
- It’s safe for you and your family to use
Meganite is 100% safe for you and your family to use. The only thing it will harm is the weeds in your garden or yard. You can spray it on any part of your lawn or garden without worrying about harming yourself or anyone else.
- You can easily control weeds that grow in difficult areas
Weeds are notorious for growing in hard-to-reach places like between rocks, tree roots, and even underneath concrete slabs. With Meganite, you can easily control these weeds without worrying about damaging anything else around them. This means you won’t have to worry about accidentally ruining other plants while getting rid of weeds.
- Meganite is easy to apply with no special equipment required
You don’t need any special equipment to apply this product because it comes in an easy-to-use spray bottle that allows you to spray the liquid directly onto any area where weeds grow. There is no mess involved with this product either because it dries up quickly after application
The Cons of Meganite
The cons of Meganite:
- Meganite is unavailable in all countries, so you might need to look for a reliable seller who can ship the product to your country.
- The official website does not provide any kind of money-back guarantee. This means they will not take any responsibility if the product doesn’t work as advertised or if it causes any side effects.
- The official website also does not provide any clear instructions on how to use this supplement and what is the recommended dosage that needs to be followed with it every day.
One of the most important concerns you must remember when deciding between these two stones is color. Corian will always be a solid color, while Meganite will have variations from slab to slab. Furthermore, experts recommend using a sealer over your countertop, so liquids don’t cause discoloration. As long as that’s taken care of, either stone should work well for your kitchen.