As long as you follow the appropriate steps when applying the chalk paint on the Kitchen table, the paint will be a durable fix.
When painting the kitchen table, ensure that the color is durable enough to endure everyday wear and tear.
If you’re going to use your dining table with chalk paint as a workstation for schoolwork or working from home, it needs to be durable. After you’ve spent the time to paint it, you’ll want to make sure it lasts.
To achieve a long-lasting finish, you’ll need a varnish that can seal and protect the paintwork. It’s here that the Chalk Paint comes in handy.
Whether you choose either a Matt or Gloss finish, the water-based chalk paint varnish is durable enough to withstand wear and tear from daily use. It also applies clear and dries rapidly without becoming yellow over time.
What is Chalk Paint?
First and foremost, chalk paint is the registered trademarked paint brand belonging to Annie Sloan. However, like anything else in the market, there are a slew of knockoffs to create twits and the look of likes.
Chalk paint is a matte-finish paint with a powdery appearance. The little to no prep work required before painting is one of the most appealing features of chalk paint. That means no sanding, priming, or anything else!
Despite the fact that most chalk paint companies claim minimal prep, you should inspect each piece you wish to paint separately. Always clean the kitchen table before applying the chalk paint.
Chalk paint can create pieces that have an old, antiqued aspect or give them a modern twist. The options are limitless!
How to Create a Long-Lasting Chalk Paint for Kitchen Table
- Using a moist cloth, wipe away any dust and filth from your table surface.
- Before applying Chalk Paint, do a patch test. Chalk paint’s chemicals can pull tannins or stains out of the wood, creating ugly scars. Don’t be startled if you observe any “bleed-through.” Apply the stain blocker over the entire table, such as shellac, and let it dry before continuing.
- Use Chalk Paint to decorate your table. Because pine has a yellow-orange hue, you have to apply a second layer of paint, especially if you’re painting with a lighter color than it is for the wood.
- Dilute Chalk Paint with water if you want to create an ultra-smooth finish. Apply the paint gently in equal coats with a roller. Between applications, sand lightly. Before using the Chalk Paint, make sure that it is adequately mixed. Later, make sure the paint is dried.
- Use a flat brush or a roller to apply the varnish. Work systematically when applying chalk paint to ensure that the entire surface is covered. Any flaws in the finish will jeopardize the table’s overall protection.
- Allow 1-2 hours for drying before applying a second layer in the same systematic manner.
- The kitchen table will be ready to use once it has dried, but the chalk paint will take two weeks to reach maximum strength, so be cautious with it at first.
With this guide, you’ll be able to paint and varnish your kitchen table for a long-lasting finish. The entire process can be completed with little effort and in a short amount of time.
Wipe away spills and clear marks with soapy water to preserve the life of your refurbished table, but avoid harsh chemicals. Reapply the varnish if you notice it starting to wear over time. You can always repaint it with another Chalk Paint when you’re ready for a change!
Is the Chalk Paint Available in Different Colors?
Yes, it most definitely does. Obviously, the colors will differ based on the brand; nonetheless, most brands provide a wide range of chalk paint hues. Lowes and Home Depot offer brands that may be tinted to your desired color.
If you can’t locate the color you desire, consider combining two colors or producing your chalk paint at home. There is always a way you can create chalk paint with your favorite color.
Apart From The Kitchen Table, Where Else Can You Apply Chalk Paint?
Chalk paint has the advantage of being able to be used almost anywhere. You can paint anything, including plastic, wood, metal, and masonry.
You can chalk paint furniture like tables and chairs, plastic outdoor planters, and a metal headboard. Chalk paint can also be used on kitchen cabinets, floors, walls, trim, and upholstery, to name a few places.
How to Prevent Chalk Paint from Scratching off Easily
When using chalk paint on furniture, be aware that it’s not something that can last for eternity. However, it’s durable when you apply it as recommended and your follow-up in the maintenance steps.
Use interior satin enamel paint for an excellent finish on the furniture to keep the Chalk paint last longer. When chalk paint isn’t properly protected and sealed, it’s easy to chip and scratch. Therefore, you need to adopt the best technique to avoid scratching off chalk paint.
The easiest approach to keep chalk-painted kitchen tables resistant to scratching is to use a liquid topcoat. While the wax is a common alternative for chalk-painted surfaces, it doesn’t provide the same level of scratch resistance as liquid finishes.
It’s unnecessary to seal chalk paint, but it’s strongly advisable; otherwise, the surface will quickly develop chips and scratches. Chalk paint isn’t extremely long-lasting. If you’re new to chalk paint, choosing a scratch-resistant topcoat can be challenging. The most straightforward approach to keep chalk paint from scratching is to use scratch-resistant topcoats.
Howard Citrus Shield Paste Wax is the most scratch-resistant finishing wax; its strong coat is made of carnauba wax and natural orange oil. It will give your chalk-painted kitchen table a lovely and long-lasting look.
For the most outstanding effects, use the clear color choice on chalk paint; it will harden, making the surface scratch-resistant and water repellent.